- We go to the library once a week. I take advantage of the hold shelf, and keep my eyes peeled for new releases that they may enjoy. The boys pick out things they like and sometimes we will use the 3Dprinter upstairs.
- The boys volunteer at an animal shelter once a week. They LOVE cats , so we found a great no-kill shelter, and bought some laser pointers to play with the cats.
- We play at the park once a week, and I encourage the boys to play outside everyday. Summer water fights turn into snowball fights.
- During the colder months, the boys use a tablet with educational games. Not all unschoolers would agree on a time limit, but I feel it's necessary in our home. Without a limit, they would use the tablet for hours on end.
- We also use Netflix during winter (commercials drive me crazy) and we always use closed captioning. There are great documentaries, Bill Nye, Reading Rainbow and other PBS shows. Sometimes we'll look for things on YouTube, like weird facts or new inventions to watch or pick out our favorite songs.
- The boys have MyDenver cards, which gives them free access to recreation centers in Denver, as well as museums. Monday-Friday most recreation centers have an after-school program, and they can take drumming, dance, cooking and karate classes, completely free. Plus, a snack is also provided.
- The boys love to take apart their broken toys. We've currently ran out of things to take apart, but they are always building something. They have been trying to convince me that everything in the house is broken so they can take it apart... Nice try guys.
- When the boys go to bed, we leave at least an hour for them to read. That is the goal, but that doesn't always happen.
What is your schedule like?